Foods Rich in Vitamin B-12
by MedPlus Team, November 5, 2018
Vitamin B-12 foods play an important role in a person’s health. A lack or deficiency of vitamin B-12 in a person’s diet can adversely affect their physical and mental health. Vegetarians and vegans must take care to consume recommended vitamin B-12 foods, as it is mainly found in non-vegetarian sources like meat, eggs, and dairy products. Ensure to include enough vitamin B-12 in the diet which is essential for optimum health.
You need vitamin B12 for the formation of DNA, make healthy red blood cells and keep nerves working properly.
Vitamin B12 foods sources are available only in animal foods and fortified foods. Vegetarians, vegans, and People who avoid all animal products should particularly make sure to consume for some meat alternatives, such as soy products fortified with vitamin B12.
10-30% of older people may not absorb vitamin B-12 well. It is advised for adults over 50 years to include foods fortified with vitamin B12 or a vitamin B12 containing supplement.
The RDA of Vitamin B-12 depends on the age of the person:
- Adults and teenagers: 2.4mcg per day.
- Children between 9 to 13 years old: 1.8 mcg per day.
- Children between 4 to 8 years old: 1.2 mcg per day.
- Toddlers between 1 to 3 years old: 0.9 mcg per day.
- Infants between 7 to 12 months old require 0.5 mcg of vitamin B-12 per day, and babies less than 6 months old require 0.4 mcg per day.
- Pregnant women require 2.6 mcg per day and while breastfeeding women need 2.8 mcg per day.
Foods rich in Vitamin B12:
The rich sources of Vitamin B-12 foods are eggs, milk, cheese, milk products, meat, fish, shellfish and poultry. Some vegetarian foods such as soy and rice beverages as well as soy-based meat substitutes are fortified with vitamin B12.
Bowl of fortified muesli cereal with strawberries and blueberries, with soya plant milk being poured on top.
Fortified cereals provide a plant-based source of vitamin B-12.
Check the Nutrition Facts on the food label to see if the product contains vitamin B12.