Best Ways to Avoid and Prevent Mosquito Bites
by MedPlus Team, October 31, 2019
Mosquitoes sleep during the day and become active during the evening. They are especially hyperactive in their suitable environment near clogged drains, stagnant water, and other dirty areas. They live in the dark and rest in tall grass, weeds, trash bags, and food which is spoiled or uncovered. Mosquitoes can bite anyone, cause pain, rash, and itching. Usually, the rash may vanish within a few hours but when it comes to sensitive people symptoms can last for several days and leaves a wound/mark over the area if rubbed/scratched many times. Therefore, to avoid mosquito bites, people tend to kill them with bare hands or with mosquito bats. In this article. You still learn a few simple tricks to prevent mosquito bites easily.
To Avoid the Mosquito Bites, Follow these Simple Steps
1. Stay indoors during the early morning and evenings
2. Avoid going to overcrowded places
3.When outside (especially in crowded areas, wear long-sleeved clothes and pants to avoid bite)
4.Apply coconut oil to the exposed skin to avoid mosquito bite
5.Apply a mosquito repellent cream
6. Always keep your surroundings clean
7. Remove any stagnant water (or get the leaking taps fixed), because mosquitoes actively breed in stagnant water
8. Do not open the windows and doors during early mornings and evenings unless you have mosquito meshes in place. A little later in the morning until 4pm is a good time to open your doors and windows to allow ventilation.
9. Use a mosquito net while sleeping
10. Dark clothes tend to attract mosquitoes. So try to avoid the same
11. Similarly, blankets – avoid dark color blankets while sleeping
What to do if Affected with a Mosquito Bite?
1. Do not scratch the bite area though it might be itchy
2.Wash the area with soap and water
3.Apply calamine lotion or an anti-itch cream
4. Keep an ice pack on the bite
5. Take an anti-histamine (over the counter medicine, if it is severe)
6.If none of the above help, and you see extreme swelling/redness or feel itching, see the doctor right away.
What are the Other Things That We Can Do?
Studies say that lemon eucalyptus is a registered repellent and is the main ingredient in mosquito repellents. It provides 100% protection against mosquitoes for up to 12 hours.
This oil also helps to relieve cold, cough and congestion.
Catnip Oil / Catmint Essential Oil:
Catnip oil is popular for its effects on cats but this can be used to repel mosquitoes too and gives you protection until 7 hours.
Peppermint is a natural insecticide and mosquito repellent. Mix this oil with other scents, or with lemon and apply it directly on the skin for a minty scent, this makes the mosquitoes to run away and can not bite you due to the mint fragrance.
Dilute peppermint oil with canola oil because if applied directly, it may cause a skin rash due to its sizzling nature.
Lemon Grass Oil:
Lemongrass oil is also an effective remedy to shoo mosquitoes away. It works as a strong mosquito repellent when mixed with cinnamon bark oil.
Switch on your fan:
Switch your fans on – under which mosquitoes cannot fly.
Eliminate stagnant water:
If water is left uncleaned that will become the resting area for mosquitoes, to avoid this, clean all the clogged roof gutters, empty the kid’s pool, change the water in any bird baths, sweep the trash can lids (if water accumulated). keep your unused pot plant or cups upside down and make sure to dry them.
Keep your surroundings clean that eliminates all the possible diseases and keeps you healthy. Try the above-mentioned tactics that aid in preventing mosquito bites, and make your area mosquitoes free.